Welcome to My Home

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Love A Veteran? Sign Your Name to this Petition!

I have mentioned that I classify myself in different ways.  My life is affected by three different groups women's issues, adoptee issues, and veteran issues.  For a long time, I was just an adult adoptee.  Now that I am facing health issues resulting from my time in the U.S. Army, I am also a veteran, specifically a Desert Storm/Gulf War veteran.  My ex husband is one as well.  Now that my cousin is facing the same kinds of health issues, I realize that I can no longer stay silent or wait for the Veterans Affairs Administration to stand up and do the right thing.  It is a government entity that cares only for its own well being.  It is usually screw the vets attitude that hurts veterans country wide.  I can't stay silent because this affects not just my family and I but it also affects thousands of fellow Gulf War vets but new veterans from two ongoing conflicts. 

I filed a claim soon after leaving the service in 1996.  I was denied coverage  and compensation of any kind.  At that time, I claimed my left arm and nerve damage, female health issues, and cystic acne.  I was denied less than ten percent at the time.  I let it go.  The closest VA clinic/hospital at the time was in San Antonio.  We were too broke at the time to do anything. 

Fast forward twenty one years later, my health issues have advanced to critical stages.  My cystic acne is all over my body.  Every time a bump appears, it tunnels to another bump close by.  I no longer have my uterus and one of my ovaries, and my left arm has gotten so bad that I have no feeling in three of fingers and the lower half of it.  I have had six surgeries in the last six years.  I can not get the VA to tackle all of my health issues.  I have been called Mr. Burt more times than I can shake a stick at.  I have five dogs.  I have shaken a stick quite a few times.  I have had my pain levels ignored especially after surgery.  I have requested appointments only to be ignored.  I have PTSD with secondary bruxism.  I have nerve damage to the left side of my body.  My blood pressure is so low that I am now wondering if I have autonomic health issues.  My cystic acne has expanded to the groin, armpits, stomach, inside of my legs and my buttocks.  It is consistently ignored or passed the buck on.  The Micheal E. Debakey VA Medical Center has ignored my complaints and said that they were my fault. 

I am asking all that love me, respect me, and even hate me to please sign this petition.  Gulf War veterans deserve a treatment course other than treatment of symptoms.  I don't want to develop an addiction to narcotics.  I want to sleep through the night and wake refreshed.  I want to be active along side of the people that I love.  I want to live not survive.  It is what every Gulf War veteran wants.  We want our quality of life.  We gave our lives for our country.  We want our country to help us do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Define yourself!